Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
Under Graduate Section
Undergraduate Education in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery for Dental Students
- The program outlines addresses both the knowledge needed in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery and allied medical specialties in its scope.
- Undergraduate program in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery is designed to enable the qualifying dental surgeon to diagnose, analyze and treat common oral surgical problems by procedures that include extractions, alveoloplasties, biopsies, etc.
- A formal training through a graded system of education as specified will equip the trainee with skill and knowledge at its completion to be able to practice basic Oral and Maxillofacial surgeon competently.
- The undergraduate training programme commences in the 3rd year with lectures and practical exercises and continues to fourth year 2nd term.
- Periodic discussion and internal assessment tests are conducted regularly to assess the students.
- University examination in the subject is conducted at the end of fourth year following fulfilment of attendance, tutorials and clinical assignment.
- Special remedial classes are conducted for underperforming students. Students are taught proper anaesthesia techniques and extractions of teeth.
- Presentation of posters and papers in UG Conferences.
- Post graduation Career guidance Program for interns in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery.
- They are given demonstrations in implant placement and advanced surgical techniques like sinus lift procedures, ridge augmentation, use of piezo and lasers.
- Students are encouraged to participate in under graduate conferences, various academic and cultural activities.
DETAILS OF INNOVATIVE PRACTICES IN TEACHING AND LEARNING PROCESS
A) Use of LCD, OHP and Slide Projectors for teaching purpose.
B) Utility of Computers by Faculty and PG students:
- PowerPoint Presentation for UG lectures.
- Use of RVG for patient x rays and record.
- Maintenance of Patient’s records, photographs and seminars and Journal Club Presented.
- Internet Access.
C) Utility of Computers for Departmental Records such as:
- Patient diagnosis and treatment records, consumable inventory are maintained.
- Record of PG attendance, internal assessment for UG and PG, instruments and equipments in the department and yearly departmental budget.