Department of Periodontics
Undergraduate Education in Periodontology For Dental Students
- Undergraduate program in Periodontology is designed to enable the qualifying dental surgeon to diagnose, analyze and treat common periodontal problems by preventive, and corrective procedures.
- This program provides an in-depth knowledge about the growth and development of periodontium, diagnosis and management of different types of periodontal diseases.
- Clinical practice is limited to non surgical periodontal therapy and assistance in periodontal surgeries.
- The undergraduate training programme commences in the 3rd year with lectures and practical exercises and continues to fourth year 2nd term.
- Periodic discussion and internal assessment tests are conducted regularly to assess the students.
- University examination in the subject is conducted at the end of fourth year following fulfillment of attendance, tutorials and clinical assignment.
- Periodic discussions through flip charts, 3D models, posters, video recordings [Perio-Crystal], Live demonstration of surgies. Special remedial classes are conducted for underperforming students. Students are taught to use ultrasonics following completion of hand scaling quota, assist the post graduates in periodontal surgical cases.
- Presentation of posters and papers in UG Conferences.
- Postgraduation Career guidance Program for interns in Periodontology
- They are given demonstrations in implant placement and advanced surgical techniques like sinus lift procedures, ridge augmentation, use of piezo and lasers.
- Students are encouraged to do various short research projects, participate in Under graduate conferences, various academic and cultural activities.
DETAILS OF INNOVATIVE PRACTICES IN TEACHING AND LEARNING PROCESS
A) Use of LCD, OHP and Slide Projectors for teaching purpose.
B) Utility of Computers by Faculty and PG students :
- Powerpoint Presentation for UG lectures.
- Use of periotron professional software for quantification of GCF.
- Use of Florida probe in patient examination.
- Use of RVG for patient x rays and record.
- Use of Laser for bloodless surgeries.
- Maintenance of Patient’s records, photographs and seminars and Journal Club Presented.
- Internet Access.
C) Utility of Computers for Departmental Records such as:
- Patient diagnosis and treatment records, consumable inventory is maintained by G- Health, a patient management software.
- Record of PG attendance, internal assessment for UG and PG, instruments and equipments in the department and yearly departmental budget.