Welcome to the Department of Physiology and Biochemistry. This is one of the Six Departments in the faculty of Medicine in the Oxford Dental College campus, Bommanahalli, Bangalore.
Physiology is the branch of science dealing with the study of functions of living beings. It is a dynamic study of life describing the vital functions of living organisms at organ, cellular and molecular levels. The term Physiology is a combination of Greek word physis, meaning “nature”, and logos, meaning “science” or “study”.
Physiology is the mother of several biological sciences responsible for the development of disciplines like biochemistry, biophysics and neurosciences. Hence the boundaries of physiology are not sharply defined.
Biochemistry is an aspect of science which probes into chemical constitution of living things and the various chemical processes through which life originates and by which maintenance of life is accomplished in organisms.
Biochemistry provides the foundation knowledge required for study in both the molecular and cellular aspects of modern biology
Thus an understanding of Biochemical principles is a pre-requisite for successful advanced work in most areas of Medicine and Dentistry.
The Department came into existence in 1992 with the establishment of The Oxford Dental College, Bangalore.
Aspects of Physiology
- General and Nerve Muscle Physiology
- System Physiology
- Special Senses
Aspects in Biochemistry
- Nutrition and Dietics
- Clinical Biochemistry
- Adequate number of theory classes in all the topics as prescribed by the university.
- Students are trained in practical classes to perform experiments related to subjects of Physiology and Biochemistry independently and perfectly.
- Clinical experiments conducted as demonstration classes.
- Periodical internal assessment conducted to ascertain the scholastic performance of the students.
- Frequent workshops, seminars, assignments and discussion conducted to keep the students abreast with latest trends in Clinical and Non-clinical Biochemistry.