10 DAY ORIENTATION PROGRAMME for MBA Students (Batch 2016-18)
The Orientation Programme for new students of MBA programme, Batch 2016 – 18 was planned for 10 days from 1.30 pm – 3.30 pm from September 26th to October 8th, 2016 (Saturdays from 9.30 – 12.30 noon). The programme is being organized to assist students to help students with their academic and personal transition from graduation course to a professional course of college life as it is very important that new students should understand the academic expectations, their personal responsibilities, and the environment of the institution to be successful in their academic and career pursuit.
Objectives of the Program
This orientation programme aims at helping the students prepare themselves for the industry in the coming years
- To learn to maximise their performance as an individual and as team (individual and group presentation)
- To help the students develop their knowledge, skills and abilities that is required for analysing and assessing issues in organisation (through case study analysis)
- To develop an understanding towards theory, practical and application of managerial profession ( involvement in academic club activities)
- This orientation will help the students to get an indication of trends in the business scenario (interaction with alumni)
Details of the Program Day-wise
Day 1, 26th September, 2016 was Inaugural Function of PG courses & Inaugural Classes
Day 2, 27th September, 2016 (Tue) from 9.00- 10.00 am, Dr.Sarit Kumar, Director – HOD, MBA addressed the students on expectations from them in terms of academic progression, discipline and gave a brief outline of the activities and events lined up in this semester and upcoming semesters which will help them to groom them in leadership skills and helping them in implementing their theory knowledge to practice.From 10.00 am to 12.50 pm and from 1.30 -4.15 pm, 6 subject faculties briefed the students on the respective course schedule and unit outlines
Day 3, 28th September, 2016 (Wed), from 9.00am - 3.30 pm students experienced Outbound training at Art of Living Ashram, Kannakpura Road. Expert Speaker, Mr. Virat took session on importance of Teamwork and Communication skills and emphasised on attitude and confidence to be successful in the career. He also demonstrated the importance of interview skills by conducting mock interview (which can be viewed in the second photo).
Day 4, 29th September, 2016 (Thu) from 1.30 pm - 3.30 pm, Mr.Ramanatham, VP, Sumeru Technologies and Ms. Upasana, a volunteer from Art of livingtook session on “Discipline – Mind, Body for better performance”. He highlighted the importance of time management and knowing the difference between important and urgent things will help them to manage their time effectively. He further narrated the examples of disciplining the mind the body to enhance the performance.
Day 5, 1st October, 2016 (Sat) from 9.00am to 12.30 pm fresher’s Interaction with Senior Students was scheduled focussing on – Clubs and Events of MBA Course. Senior students explained about various clubs, namely, HR, Marketing, Finance, Communication, Case Study, Movie clubs etc. They conducted various group activities pertaining to the respective clubs which was a learning experience for the new MBA students. Senior students also demonstrated the importance of active participation in the events and activities of the department helping in the all-round development of them.
Day 6, 3rd October 2016 (Mon), from 1.30 pm - 3.30 pm, Dr. P D Jose and team, from IIMB explained about MOOC’s program offered by IIM in association with TOCE and emphasized on importance of Management interface with Technology. They also explained the importance of technology in general and value addition course in particular to help them have an edge in the competitive market.
Day 7, 4th October 2016 (Tue), from 1.30 pm - 3.30 pm, Ms. SruthiChoudary&Ms.LopamudraBanarjee, Founders of WoW ( World of Wow) spoke on “entrepreneurship”. They explained the importance of preparing the mind-set of the students to think in the direction of becoming entrepreneurs taking their journey as example. Students were very interactive and it was a very good learning experience for all.
Day 8, 5th October 2016 (Wed), from 1.30 pm - 3.30 pm a session of Interaction with Alumnus was organized. Mr. Vikram (TOCE - MBA Batch 2008 -10) presently Development Manager at Future Generali Life Insurance spoke on Expectations and growth opportunities in corporate. He also shared his views on present day expectations of the employers from the fresher’s which gave a good exposure to the students and was an interactive and sharing session.
Day 9, 6th October 2016 (Thu) from 1.30 pm - 3.30 pm, Col. Prasanna Kumar, CEO –Thinktrek Pvt Ltd, addressed students on Characteristics of Leaders. He brought the live examples from society linking it with the management concepts.
According to him, Qualities like decision making, risk-taking, dependability, taking Initiatives etc are significant qualities to be a leader. He differentiated between a manager and leader and gave a good insight on leadership skills.
Day 10, 7th October 2016 (Fri), from 1.30 pm - 3.30 pm, Mr. Tanveer Hassan, Program Officer from , CIS – A2K, Wikimedia shared his expertise on “ Internet Education”. He also explained the importance of leveraging the internet-based information to enhance the knowledge of the Management. He gave lot of internet links helpful for students to learn and acquire research skills.
Day 11, 8th October 2016 (Sat), from 10.00am – 12.00 noon, Mr. Sabhyasachi Banerjee, Senior Global Solution Manager from Siemens - Atos India Pvt Ltd., spoke to students on Emerging job opportunities in finance domain w.r.t IT sector. He emphasised the importance of application perspective while studying the accounts and finance subjects in MBA and how decisions at the management level ae dependent on the financial analysis.
This session was followed by valedictory. Dr Sarit Kumar briefed the gathering on the 10 day orientation program day-wise and the details of the speakers and also mentioned that the students have to be focussed on the MBA course looking at the expectations of the speakers and also emphasised the importance of active participation of students in various class and departmental activities.
Dr. Praveen Gowda, Principal of The Oxford College of Engineering, addressed the students and narrated that the MBA course is a life-changing course and he gave the examples of importance of innovation and creativity in the present management arena. He also stated the connection of mythology to the present management concepts.
This was followed by certificate distribution for the Case Study Competition Winners (present 3rd Semester students). The 10 day orientation program came to a close with vote of thanks by Dr.Balakoteswari, Professor.
10-day Orientation Programme for 1st semester MBA batch 2015-17
The programme is being organized to assist students to help students with their academic and personal transition from graduation course to a professional course of college life as it is very important that new students should understand the academic expectations, their personal responsibilities, and the environment of the institution to be successful in their academic and career pursuit.
- Day 1, 28.09.15 – Morning session was Inaugural function and afternoon session was handled by the Director-MBA, Dr. Sarit Kumar. He gave an overview of the course and the activities planned for them viz., Industrial visits, Guest lectures, Clubs,Class Presentations, Business models, Symposiums etc. Class teachers of Section A and B, Dr. BalaKoteswari and Prof.Lakshmi briefed the students on the discipline and gave an overview of the subjects in the Ist Semester.
- Day 2, 29.09.15(1:30 – 4:00 PM) -Mr. Lijo Koshy, Lead Analyst, Honeywell Technology Solutions Laboratories Pvt Ltd, TOCE - MBA Alumni spoke on “An Integrated Approach to Career readiness”. Students have learnt how to be innovate and mould themselves for future career opportunities. They felt that the information was very relevant for them and will help them in their endeavours in future.
- Day 3, 30.09.15(1:30 – 4:00 PM) –Mr. Vivin Agarwal, Program Commisioner, Indo Suriname Chamber of Commerce, interacted with students on “Management of Innovation and Creativity” and its relevance in Public, Private and Personal life and also focussed on Biodiversity and its relevance for global competitiveness.
- Day 4, 01.10.15(1:30 – 4:00 PM) – Mr. Ashok, Retd.Wing Commander, Entrepreneur in Outbound Training Programs addressed students on “Role of Discipline in Leadership”. Students learned the importance of discipline in day-to-day life and how to achieve success by keeping a checklist of day-to-day activities and plan in order to achieve their goals. He gave lot of illustrations from the Army and Industry pertaining to the discipline.
- Day 5, 03.10.15 (11:00 to 12:45 PM) – Senior Students, IIIrd Semester MBA, Oriented Fresher’s on clubsnamely, the Marketing, HR, Finance, Case Study and NSS Clubs. They also explained the objectives and goals of the clubs to the juniors.
- Day 6, 06.10.15(1:30 – 4:00 PM) – Mr. Joseph Williams, MD, XTYLS Wearhouse Pvt Ltd addressed students on “Entrepreneurs – Entrepreneurship”. He also focussed on the concepts like how to overcome stage fear, how to be efficient, how to face the interview, develop confidence and to develop logical thinking.
- Day 7, 08.10.15(1:30 – 4:00 PM) – Mr. Bijou Kurien, Strategic Head, J- Capital gave presentation on “The India of Future”. Highlighted on importance of life skills and learning from the situations and people around us. Explained about the cultural diversity and importance of adapting to the global changes.Taught students how to be comfortable in uncomfortable situations. Being in strategic positions he shared his experiences working closely with MukeshAmbaniand his visionary approach towards the business and also shared his experiences working at Titan’s Fastrack and Tanishq.
- Day 8, 09.10.15(1:30 – 4:00 PM) –Mr. Satish, CEO – Mark How Consulting Company addressed students on “Importance of Value added course in the career and Skills required for Employability”. He explained to the students the importance of aptitude and skills in order to achieve their goals. He explained the importance of written communication, verbal communication, flexibility, persuasion, team work, leadership, planning and organizing, computing skills which will help them in developing professionalism.
- Day 9, 10.10.15
11:00 – 1:00 PM – Senior students of IIIrd Semester conducted activities to the junior students of Ist Semester namely the Role-plays, decision-making exercises, pick and speak and management games under communication club.
2:00 – 4:00 PM - Group Manager, BOSCH addressed students on “Role Models for Management Graduates”. He presented the life stories of successful leaders like Kumar Mangalam Birla, Eion Must, Arunachalam Muruganantham and Rahul Yadav. Their life histories gave an insight to the students about the importance of commitment and determination towards the goal. The passion and persistence in doing things is the difference between successful and unsuccessful people.
BANK & INDUSTRY
On 30/10/15 - Branch Manager-Vijaya Bank , HSR Layout conducted a Competition on “Vigilance week as per RBI guidelines”
PRE CONCLAVE BIODIVERSITY SUMMIT
The Oxford College Of Engineering, Department Of Management Studies, conducted Bio Concerns’ Business Conclave in- association with the Bio-design Farm, Bengaluru and The Diplomatic Consular Corps of India. The Pre conclave was conducted for two days 13th and 14th Nov’15 with an aim to set the agenda for the main conclave proposed in March of 2016.
INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE IMEIB-2016 WAS ORGANIZED BY THE DEPARTMENT ON 7TH APRIL 2016
The papers presented at the conference were selected and filtered out of 392 papers. The papers which were selected had gone through various quality scanners and selected for presentation and publication. Those papers were divided into 2 Tracks for an effective and comfortable process of presenting and judging them. Each of the tracks housed about 35 Papers and was chaired by 5 experts in the panel. The event then transcended into valedictory session where participants were given certificates
The papers were published 4 volumes of journal “Annual research Journal of department of Management Studies” with ISSN:0254-8755.