Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
Post Graduate Section
Postgraduate MDS Program in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
- The program outlines addresses both the knowledge needed in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery and allied medical specialties in its scope.
- A minimum of three years of formal training through a graded system of education as specified will equip the trainee with skill and knowledge at its completion to be able to practice basic oral and Maxillofacial surgeon competently and have the ability to intelligently pursue further apprenticeship towards advanced maxillofacial surgery.
- The goal of the Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery post graduate program is to provide advanced education in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery to churn out highly qualified specialists who are interested in a career of specialized practice, teaching and research.
- The Post Graduate training programme is of three years duration starting with the training of the post graduate students in extractions, both intraalveolar and transalveolar, including the surgical extractions of various impacted teeth. It also includes minor surgical procedures followed by treatment of patients with surgical approaches to trauma of the facial skeleton and soft tissue, orthognathic surgeries, soft tissue lesions and pathologies with a special emphasis on various reconstructive techniques.
- The students are guided in implant placement and advanced implant surgical techniques, use of piezo, electrosurgery, cryosurgery and lasers.
- Regular seminars and journal club reviews, debates, electronic based learning and problem based learning are part of the postgraduate training programme.
- The students are encouraged to attend national and international conferences and present scientific papers and posters.
- The post graduate students are also required to submit a library and main dissertation as a partial fulfilment of the M.D.S requirements.
- The department also carries out various awareness programme like BLS and ATLS courses.